Pages

Should Parents Tell their Kids about Santa

Hi, my name is Roland.

I love Santa Claus. I also love anyone, real or make believe, who has love and understanding, who loves children, who cares about children, and who protects children. Here is what I think.

Should parents tell their kids about Santa?

At our house, when my son was little, we did not do Santa. We celebrated Christmas with a small Christmas tree with ornaments, we exchanged presents, had Christmas stockings, listened to Christmas music, and had Christmas dinner.

We definitely talked about Santa, and my son became familiar with who Santa is and what he does. We read Twas the Night Before Christmas and  listened to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

When I myself was a boy - my mom did do the Santa thing. When I was very small, I remember putting out a plate with cookies and a glass of milk for Santa, so he could enjoy them when he stopped by our house.

In the morning when I awoke, I dashed to the living room to see if Santa had come. One Christmas there was a brand new shiny bicycle near the tree. Santa had brought it, and he also filled the stockings.

At the same time, there were many other gifts and each was from someone in the family. Before Christmas I went shopping with mom to get her something, and then there were gifts from grandma and so on. So it was like a hybrid thing. There was Santa who brought things, and we also gave each other gifts. It was like the best of both worlds!

Somehow as I grew, I began to suspect that mom was actually Santa, and then I knew that it was mom who was getting me things and putting them under the tree. You know how it is with kids: one day they are living in their magical wonderful world of make believe, and then they are more interested in their friends, and then they are all grown up. 

So here is what I think. Parents can go either way. Do what you feel comfortable with and enjoy. Whatever you do, Santa or no Santa, if you do it with a good spirit, you will be fine.

I am a pastor (nondenominational) for people on the web. I don't have a big church, just a computer and some books. Some Christians have a problem with Santa. I don't.

I am not a prude. I can enjoy the niceties of Christmas without forgetting the reason for the season. I love Christmas and all the trappings and I always will.

I have a stuffed animal at home and his name is Mr. Brown Bear. He is a very nice. He is kind and thoughtful. He loves looking out the window at the flowers. He is also working on his Ph.D in History.

Mr. Brown Bear is excited that my son is studying at a university because Mr. Brown Bear says he can work on his doctoral thesis more easily with all the research facilities and library near the school.

Is Mr. Brown Bear a real bear? No. But do I love and respect Mr. Brown Bear? Absolutely.

Should my son sit down with me one day and say "Dad, it's all a lie. Mr. Brown Bear is just a stuffed animal." No, because I love what Mr. Brown Bear stands for.

Part of me loves what is innocent, and I also love to be playful. Ultimately it is what is innocent and good that I love, and so I honor and cherish good wherever I see it--in a child's eyes, in a good man or a good woman, in the Lone Ranger, in Mr. Brown Bear, or in Santa Claus.

If you don't want to do Santa, I have no problem with your decision. Remember, when my son was little, we did not do Santa either.

Whatever you do, just keep it light hearted. Remember that children live in a magical world. Honor their innocence. Be patient with them.  Be patient with yourself. Merry Christmas, love and kisses!







Roland Trujillo has a twinkle in his eye. He is host of a radio advice program now in its 26th year. He is the author of 18 books and has been counseling and coaching parents for 25 years
.   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment